Koreas set for first official talks in two years
SEOUL: A high-level South Korean delegation left on Tuesday (Jan 9) for rare talks with North Korea after months of tensions over the North’s nuclear weapons programme, with Seoul’s chief delegate vowing to work towards improving long-strained ties.
The talks come after the North’s leader Kim Jong-Un indicated in his New Year’s speech that Pyongyang was willing to send a delegation to the Winter Olympics in the South.
Seoul responded with an offer of a high-level dialogue, and last week the hotline between the neighbours was restored after being suspended for almost two years.
Moments before Seoul’s five-member delegation left for the talks at the border truce village of Panmunjom, Unification Minister Cho Myung-Gyun said the two sides would focus on the North’s participation in the Pyeongchang Games but the agenda would also include ways to thaw frosty ties.
“Today, we will discuss North Korea’s participation in the Pyeongchang Olympics and Paralympics and the issue of improving inter-Korean relations as well”, Cho, who led the South’s delegation, told journalists.
Read more here: www.channelnewsasia.com