Sunday, May 27, 2018

News

The latest news stories from Hmong TV Network

Zang Her and Mai Moua arrested for Arson for UC Oriental Market

A Merced couple was arrested Thursday for allegedly torching their downtown business inside a 91-year-old building on Main Street, according to investigators.

No one was injured in the Dec. 18, 2016, blaze in the 600 block of West Main Street inside UC Oriental Market, which investigators said was set by 50-year-old Zang Her and 45-year-old Mai Moua. The couple owned the business but not the building, according to Merced County District Attorney Larry Morse II.

“Firefighters have described the fire as one of the most significant in recent Merced history,” he said. “The nature of the blaze provided heightened dangers to the firefighters involved in containing it.”

The 7,500-square-foot building and its contents were “deemed a total loss” of “conservatively” $1.8 million, including insurance payouts and the staffing time of investigators, according to Chief Michael Wilkinson of Merced City Fire Department.

Man who seriously wounded 2 Fresno County jail officers sentenced to 112 years

A Fresno man with a violent past was sentenced on Friday to 112 years to life in prison for the attempted murder of two unarmed correctional officers inside the the lobby of the main Fresno County Jail in September 2016.

Before announcing the punishment, Superior Court Judge Timothy Kams called Thong Vang “a dangerous individual” who should never be free in society again and family of officer Toamalama Scanlan, who is still recovering from the shooting, shared their emotions.

A Fresno Superior Court jury in late March found Vang guilty of shooting officers Juanita Davila and Scanlan and seriously wounding them. In addition to attempted murder, the jury found Vang guilty of two counts of assault with a semi-automatic handgun and of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Vang, 38, has prior rape convictions in a notorious sex-slave ring case in the 1990s.

Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims attended Friday’s sentencing in support of Davila and Scanlan who worked for her office. More than a dozen correctional officers in black T shirts also sat in the courtroom in solidarity with the victims.

Six armed bailiffs were in the courtroom, including three who stood near Vang, who wore a yellow jail jumpsuit reserved for high-risk inmates. Vang sat silently throughout the proceedings, except when he told the judge that he understood his appellate rights.

In his trial, Vang testified he was justified in shooting the officers. He testified he was high on methamphetamine, paranoid and looking for help when he went into the jail lobby Sept. 3, 2016. He told the jury he had broken up with his girlfriend earlier that day and that he feared she was sending someone after him to assault or kill him.

Read more at www.fresnobee.com

Saint Paul Public School Board of Education Meeting

Yesterday, Hmong Parent Advisory Councils, Hmong community leaders, and the Hmong community attended the Saint Paul Public School Board of Education Meeting to urge the district to ensure cultural and academic programs are accessible to Hmong students and other students of color.

In recent board meeting, someone expressed concerns about the district allowing funds to support Hmong New Year Celebrations held at school sites and that he considered these celebrations religious events. Consequently, the Saint Paul Public School Board is reviewing their holiday observance policy.

Facebook releases long-secret rules on how it polices the service

MENLO PARK, Calif. (Reuters) – Facebook Inc (FB.O) on Tuesday released a rule book for the types of posts it allows on its social network, giving far more detail than ever before on what is permitted on subjects ranging from drug use and sex work to bullying, hate speech and inciting violence.

Facebook for years has had “community standards” for what people can post. But only a relatively brief and general version was publicly available, while it had a far more detailed internal document to decide when individual posts or accounts should be removed.

Now, the company is providing the longer document on its website to clear up confusion and be more open about its operations, said Monika Bickert, Facebook’s vice president of product policy and counter-terrorism.

“You should, when you come to Facebook, understand where we draw these lines and what’s OK and what’s not OK,” Bickert told reporters in a briefing at Facebook’s headquarters.

Facebook has faced fierce criticism from governments and rights groups in many countries for failing to do enough to stem hate speech and prevent the service from being used to promote terrorism, stir sectarian violence and broadcast acts including murder and suicide.

At the same time, the company has also been accused of doing the bidding of repressive regimes by aggressively removing content that crosses governments and providing too little information on why certain posts and accounts are removed.

New policies will, for the first time, allow people to appeal a decision to take down an individual piece of content. Previously, only the removal of accounts, Groups and Pages could be appealed.

Read more at www.reuters.com

Teen gets 23 years in prison for brass knuckles assault

MILWAUKEE —
An 18-year-old Milwaukee man will be spending more than two decades in prison for what the judge called an “horrific spree of terror.”

Corleon Thomas was charged with robbery with use of force, first-degree reckless injury, armed robbery, and first-degree recklessly endangering safety, along with multiple counts of taking and driving a vehicle without consent.

“This is my nightmare of a story,” a tearful victim Pa Lor said in court Friday, reading from her journals on the vicious attack last July outside a south side grocery store. She released graphic photos of her face in hopes it would help find her attacker, and it did.

“I turned my head quickly to see what the commotion was, and I was greeted with two to three punches to the left side of my face,” Lor said at Thomas’ sentencing.

The teen sat in court, listening with no expression on his face as Lor told the judge how he tried to steal her purse and car.

“He was wearing brass knuckles. The first few blows to my face were very painful, and they shook me,” Lor said. “There was blood everywhere.”

She finally fought him off using pepper spray, but said the attack left permanent damage to her face and teeth.

Read more at www.wisn.com

Southwest canceling 40 flights per day after deadly accident

Southwest Airlines has canceled 40 flights a day since they announced their voluntary inspection program following a deadly accident aboard a plane that made an emergency landing in Philadelphia.

“Since we announced our voluntary, accelerated inspection program on Tuesday night, we have maintained minimal disruption to our operation and only needed to cancel about 40 flights each day — again on a total operating schedule of approximately 4,000 daily flights,” Southwest said in a statement Sunday afternoon.

Southwest implemented its inspection program after the NTSB said one of the engine fan blades on Flight 1380 snapped, hurling debris that broke a window and led to the death of a passenger who was sucked partway out of the plane.

Read more at abc7news.com

Tulsa Police Investigate Murder-Suicide

TULSA, Oklahoma –

A woman is dead after Tulsa police say a man shot her then took his own life.

Investigators found a letter in another language, a key piece of evidence in the case.

It all started when a man called police to report his wife missing. Officers said they found out she was having an affair with another man, who ended up killing her.

Tulsa police found a man and woman dead inside a bedroom of a house near 41st and 129th East Avenue.

Officers said the woman was having an affair with the suspect and things took a dangerous turn at his house Saturday night.

Read more at www.newson6.com

Missing boy, Napoleon Her, found safe

MILWAUKEE — A massive search for a Milwaukee boy reported missing ended Monday, January 8th. Police said Napoleon Her was located around 2:00 p.m. at a home on Bender Ave. just east of 91st St.

There were embraces and tears from Her’s mother — as she was finally able to clutch her son after he was gone for 5 days. Loved ones filled a home, thankful the boy who was reported missing was home safe.

“We thank God he was found safe,” said Xiong Her, Napoleon’s uncle.

The uncle told FOX6 News police found the boy on Monday afternoon at a home near 88th and Bender.

“They went there to search the house and found Napoleon was hiding in a closet. He has no physical harm and is safe,” Her said.” We don’t know if he’d been forced or purposely hid inside of the friend’s house.”

Xiong said it was the home of the brother of Napoleon’s friend — the person he was seen with before disappearing Wednesday, January 3rd.

Read more at www.wisn.com

Jerry Brown’s last budget: 19 billion reasons to smile and two big questions

Gov. Jerry Brown has 19 billion reasons to feel optimistic when he releases his last budget proposal this week.

Eight years after he took office in the free fall of the Great Recession, the state is on pace to build a $19.3 billion surplus by July 1, 2019.

But these are not necessarily flush times, warn the liberal policy advocates who normally would be urging Brown to put the surplus into new government services.

They see two strong headwinds they expect Brown to cite when he reveals a budget that salts away revenue and avoids expensive commitments.

One comes from aftershocks created by the tax overhaul President Donald Trump signed last month.

Because Trump’s plan slashes federal revenue, California leaders expect Congress to next cut funding for social services that they consider critical. That, in turn, could blow a hole in parts of the state’s budget that depend on federal funding, like Medi-Cal.

The second drag on the upcoming budget comes from Brown’s own preoccupation with a recession. He continually warns that lean days are just around the corner even as the state exceeds its revenue targets.

Read more at www.sacbee.com

Eureka man arrested for continuous sex abuse of a child

On January 5, 2018, the Eureka Police Department opened an investigation into continuous sexual abuse of a child. 35-year-old Eureka resident Seng Yang was arrested after thorough interviews with detectives and service of a search warrant at Yang’s home.

Yang was booked into the Humboldt County Correctional Facility on numerous felony charges related to continuous sexual abuse of a minor under the age of 14.

In order to protect the victim’s privacy, the Eureka Police Department is not disclosing any information concerning his or her identity, age, gender, or relationship to Yang.

Read more at www.times-standard.com